Line Chefs are skilled chefs who can work efficiently under pressure.
Working in the busy kitchen, they support the Second Chef to produce the best quality branded dishes and ensure that all equipment is regularly cleaned and kept in good condition. Our kitchen teams have to work well together to meet the demands of a busy shift, so being a team player and good communicator is really important.
Some key responsibilities of a Line Chef include:
- Ensuring all menu items and specials are prepared, cooked and presented to company specification
- Maintaining portion control and ensuring wastage is kept to a minimum
- Receiving and checking food deliveries
- Assisting the Head Chef with orders, stock taking, food hygiene, training and development of the team
- Ensuring that all kitchen equipment is maintained and is working correctly
- Maximising the full sales potential of the restaurant and ensuring high standards are maintained
Take the next step with our Chef Development programme
Our Chef Development Programme was created to develop the skills of our chefs and kitchen teammates, enabling them to progress from Line Chef to Head Chef.
The programme will help you learn new skills through a mixture of practical and workbook-based learning.
The programme has three levels:
To become a line chef, you work through a workbook and also complete practical, on the job training. Your training will include understanding the starter and grill section, plating up and how to use all of the equipment within the kitchen.
At level two, training includes developing your understanding of the back office system, ordering and stock taking, the principles of kitchen management, first aid and team management. When you’re fully trained as a Second Chef, you'll be capable of taking control of the kitchen in the absence of the Head Chef.
Once fully trained you will be recognised as a Head Chef and will be part of the key management team within your pub. Training includes understanding the financial performance of your kitchen, as well as how to monitor and improve your results. You will also focus on team development and recruitment. As part of your training you'll complete three courses focused on customer service, kitchen standards and team management.