With a flair for presentation and a strong focus on quality, our Head Chefs know all there is to know about running a busy kitchen in a high volume, food-led business.
They are responsible for every last thing that comes in and out of the kitchen and are passionate about providing the perfect dish to our customers each and every time! From food ordering, stock and cost control to food safety and hygiene – our Head Chefs maintain the highest standards and ensure all policies are properly implemented. They have great communications skills and the charisma to inspire, lead and develop a team in a thriving, busy environment.
Some key responsibilities of the Head Chef role include:
- Ensuring all menu items and specials are prepared, cooked and presented to company specification
- Maintaining portion control and ensuring wastage is kept to a minimum
- Placing food orders and managing deliveries
- Developing, costing and producing ‘in house’ specials as and when required
- Weekly food stocktaking
- Planning and monitoring staffing levels ensuring appropriate cover at all times
- Managing cleanliness and functionality of all areas of the kitchen
- Recruiting, training and developing all kitchen team members
Take the next step with our Deputy Manager Programme
Our exclusive Deputy Manager programme is the final stage of development for teammates who want to one day become a General Manager. It’s designed to equip our Deputies with the skills and experience they need to manage their own business. It really works – 89% of those who’ve completed this programme have been appointed into General Manager roles. The programme includes:
- 3 separate weeks of residential training offering both management theory and practical application
Week 1 – Team and business focused: opstats, finance and leadership skills
Week 2 – Kitchen-based Hell’s Kitchen: menu planning, costings and market research
Week 3 – Planning to build a business
- Supporting in a newly built pub
- Project work
Completing two reliefs in pubs operating under different brands/formats
Other opportunities for progression
At Marston's we have a number of Kitchen Trainer and Kitchen Skills Coach positions. These roles are responsible for delivering training at pubs across our estate to support the roll out of our new build and investment programme, as well as helping to promote the Chef Development Programme and working alongside the Menu Development team.